Buy 400GB merchandise and Products from The Shop  
  Todays Date Is: 3/29/2024 Contact Us | Home | Donations | About 400GB | Disclaimer|
Home | Profile | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
 All Forums
 SuperFour & CB1 Owners
 The Workshop - SuperFour Owners
 CB400 Project Bike
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

TektroG

United Kingdom
1009 Posts

Posted - 01/01/2007 :  22:25:27  Show Profile
I used to be a regular on here, but my bike has been laid up for a while, and I've now got a bit of time to try and carry on with the project. The plan is to document some of the stages and take accompanying photos, for the benefit of all.

Here are the stages I plan to break it down into:

1. Minor work to get bike running again
2. Strip down and overhaul brakes
3. Overhaul engine, replace consummables
4. Get bike dyno'd as standard
5. Performance mods - Fit jet kit, conical air filters, new pipe, different sprocket(?) - dyno again
6. Re-wire, additional cosmetic changes incl. paint

To do this I have an NC23 Haynes manual and wiring diagrams for my bikes (version adapted by Honda for Jap bike trg schools. I also have tucked away in the shed - a Scorpion can & link pipe, hugger and Chinese shocks.

Anyone got one of those Odyssey batteries? Any good?
http://www.odysseybatteries.com/

I've got 4 words for you sonny: ...

jim3553
Familiar Member

Philippines
398 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2007 :  00:38:31  Show Profile
Good luck on your restoration project.

Honda Magna VF750C
Go to Top of Page

houdini
Familiar Member

Ireland
236 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2007 :  16:57:17  Show Profile
what about re-boreing it to 444 cc i was thinking about this the other day and i like the sound of a 444cc bike
Go to Top of Page

TektroG

United Kingdom
1009 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2007 :  00:52:13  Show Profile
Tell you what, you do it first and source the pistons etc for it, and I'll follow suit if it works out.

I think I've got enough to keep me busy for a while with the above.

Go to Top of Page

houdini
Familiar Member

Ireland
236 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2007 :  19:05:43  Show Profile
fine ill do it crashed the bike today anyway so it will be in the shed for a while ill let you know how i get on
Go to Top of Page

bootz76
Familiar Member

United Kingdom
238 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2007 :  09:47:08  Show Profile
tts sell the big bore kits.
Go to Top of Page

a_morti

United Kingdom
1344 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2007 :  18:31:02  Show Profile
My tips:

don't pull the engine down. Change the oil and filter, and coolant if you're feeling sympathetic, and keep riding until you *need* to change innards. Even just bottom gaskets are 25 quid, plus oil and filter, and it all depends what you call consumable. Paint the engine by all means, I took BBQ paint for the block and Plastikote for the covers all from B+Q all easy to get on and with good results. If you're feeling flash the side covers would take well to powder coating.

Wiring?! Fix what's broken, or just get a whole loom. Unless seriously knowledgable, I wouldn't even attempt to rewire a bike.

Don't fiddle with the air filter so far as changing the type, eg removing the pressurised airbox. This is a recipe for lots of expensive time at the dyno centre for naff all gain. Put free-flow foam in and remove any baffling. Change the can by all means, but be da*n sure it doesnt scrape, all the pictures i've seen show that SFs lose ground clearance with a can on.

With all the money not taking the engine apart saved you, you can get the frame, swingarm and fork bottoms powder coated.

Chinese shocks?! Sounds like a bad idea to me.

Best of luck with your project! Aaron

WWW.HONDACB1.CO.NR
+ NC29 swingarm ('29 wheels soon), Quill T3 Ti, lots of black, blade rear hangers, beet rearsets, brembo brake. Top mods: BT45's, touring screen & rack with 50L box! Stolen recovered, scumbags best not try again.
Go to Top of Page

houdini
Familiar Member

Ireland
236 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2007 :  19:41:38  Show Profile
nice one bootz sent em a mail today so here hopen the cbr400 one will fit
Go to Top of Page

TektroG

United Kingdom
1009 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2007 :  01:32:00  Show Profile
Thanks Aaron

I do know what I'm doing as I'm an experienced owner and rider, having owned all kinds of bikes (currently own RF900 and outfit as well) plus I'm an electronics engineer. This bike isn't currently worth a lot resale value, hence I'm happy to play with it for a project. This is about learning more about my bike and personalising it to my taste. I'm happy to spend some cash on parts, but anything I can do myself I will as it already sports a number of parts I made myself. All in all if it goes a bit quicker and sounds better great, but the aim is to customise and hopefully have my efforts recognised at a few rallies.

Plastic side covers will be binned and replaced with stainless. Exhaust is the one piece mega phone type, and strangles any decent engine noise. Air filters will look trick and hopefully increase performance with appropriate re-jetting.

Bike was a learner bikes and probably was used hard in Japan so will benefit from stripdown.

Chinese shocks are pretty good - jim3553 had them on one of his bikes I think. Can't be any worse than cr*ppy Hagons!

Go to Top of Page

petecourtney
Settled In Member

Ireland
72 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2007 :  18:42:37  Show Profile
With regard to re-wiring the bike, this could become a nightmare even if you're experienced. The most difficult part about making up a loom is not figuring out the electrical circuits and making proper connections, it's getting the loom to physically fit into the bike without any straining or excess cabling.
Also, I dunno where you're gonna get your hands on the original connector blocks. Without them any junctions you make are gonna be bulky and make the loom difficult to route around the frame.
A possible solution would be to chop up two looms and make one good one (re-using the original connectors), but I think you'll agree that re-using two old looms defeats the purpose of re-wiring the bike in the first place.
I'm with a_morti, only fix what's broken, although it sounds like your mind's already made up
Anyway, sounds like you've lots of work ahead of you. Best of luck with it and keep us updated with your progress.

I've got non-standard Chinese* shocks on my SuperFour. I've only been using them for about 8 months and the cheap chrome is already starting to rust. However I find the ride and comfort to be a vast improvement over the original (12 year old) pair I took off, and much cheaper than any Hagon's that I've been able to find. For what I paid for them, and for the use I put my bike to, I'd recommend them.

@ Houdini, sorry to hear about your spill. You ok?

Pete.

* note, they may not actually be Chinese, but they're cheap Asian pattern parts.

Edited by - petecourtney on 09/01/2007 18:46:40
Go to Top of Page

Seeby400

United Kingdom
590 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2007 :  11:54:59  Show Profile
welcome back to the house TEK .... it has been a while eh? ..... those shocks u got arent those niceTEK ones that were around last year are they?? if so let me know how u get on with em ... Seeby : )

Keep it gutter....keep it grimey................one
Go to Top of Page

TektroG

United Kingdom
1009 Posts

Posted - 13/01/2007 :  17:15:31  Show Profile
The shocks are from the order that was put together, I think they are TEK ones. I have a load of connectors from vehicle wiring products.

At the moment I will probably re-use half the connectors and split the loom in two. It will be almost impossible to find a matching loom for my bike as it is very rare and has extra wiring for learner lights used in Japan.

Go to Top of Page

TektroG

United Kingdom
1009 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2007 :  23:46:49  Show Profile
Project is go - sold my outfit which has freed up tons of space in the garage enabling me to drag the bike out of the furthest corner. Not only that but also allowed me to clear out the shed where the majority of the work will be done.

A quick survey revealed the following:

Good points: After nearly two years stood, having stolen the Suzuki bty, bike starts and runs.

Bad points: Absolutely everything needs cleaning, some bits have rusted somewhat also.
Fuel system needs clean out
Carbs want balancing
Front brake binding, brakes to be stripped down & seals replaced.
Forks need new oil
Clean up / renew plugs
New air filter req'd

plus probably loadsa stuff I'll find on the way. Anyone balanced the carbs on an SF using the Morgan carbtune gauges?

Edited by - TektroG on 22/03/2007 00:41:50
Go to Top of Page

TektroG

United Kingdom
1009 Posts

Posted - 18/03/2007 :  04:17:06  Show Profile
Progress update brakes binding, so currently all fairings, tank etc is off and bike is up on jacks whilst I get to sorting a few things including pulling forks out.

Anyone replaced brake calipers and seals? I was going to order what I need from wemoto once I 've had a look. Are they the cheapest? Front wheel bush is slightly scored, should I bother replacing? Will this be cheaper from a bearing factor?

Go to Top of Page

a_morti

United Kingdom
1344 Posts

Posted - 18/03/2007 :  11:16:47  Show Profile
Front wheel "bush"? You mean either bearing or spacer, or at the outside chance seal. Replace bearings that don't run smoothly, but spacers don't matter. Only change the rubber seals if you're doing the bearings.

Go join visordown.com, try the sticky at the top of supermoto general for cheap bearings (discount code with nationwide factor) and get in touch with Redrex11 for cheap (as in inexpensive, not as in tat) pattern brake sales.

Tell him Aaron (blessmycg) sent you.

WWW.HONDACB1.CO.NR
+ NC29 swingarm ('29 wheels soon), Quill T3 Ti, lots of black, blade rear hangers, beet rearsets, brembo brake. Top mods: BT45's, touring screen & rack with 50L box! Stolen recovered, scumbags best not try again.
Go to Top of Page

TektroG

United Kingdom
1009 Posts

Posted - 18/03/2007 :  15:50:56  Show Profile
Cheers Aaron. I did mean spacer - the thing within which the axle turns. Wheel bearings are OK so don't need to replace them.

Just busy ordering some polishing bits and adaptors for my bench grinder for when i get to that stage. There's a bit of a chunk missing, or a big nick, if you like, in my swingarm. Do you reckon it'll be possible to make it look half decent by filling it with weld, grinding it back then polishing?

Cheers for the spares lead, will check out prices once I have a breakdown of what I need.

Go to Top of Page

TektroG

United Kingdom
1009 Posts

Posted - 30/04/2007 :  03:49:00  Show Profile
Forks are out and stripped. Lot of pitting on one. Might have to get it rechromed. Any recommendations / how much is it likely to be?
Brakes right off also. Need serious work and all new seals caliper pots etc.
Earls brake hoses have Imperial sized fittings. Grrr. Gotta buy some spanners now.

Edited by - TektroG on 30/04/2007 03:51:30
Go to Top of Page

TektroG

United Kingdom
1009 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2007 :  21:15:22  Show Profile
Sod it adjustable 'll do for now.
Bodywork all cleaned up. Just needs bublewrapping and putting to the back of the garage for now. Hugger, Bellypan and tailpiece could do with a touch-up but it'll wait until later.
Headlight is sh*te, chrome dead on that. Might replace with Bates or similar but I'll need to get billet yokes made to mount it on.
Ordered me polishing bits now. Once they arrive can tackle loads of bits. Thinking of getting brake pressure operated switches. Something like this:
http://www.bsr-aerotek.com/store/product_info.php?products_id=2606

Go to Top of Page

TektroG

United Kingdom
1009 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2007 :  23:12:35  Show Profile
Got rid of the paint on the fuel cap. Gonna test the polishing kit by doing this small piece when it turns up.

Go to Top of Page

a_morti

United Kingdom
1344 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2007 :  23:50:11  Show Profile
Polishing stuff isn't such a great idea, trust me. Looks wonderful when you do it, looks crap first time it gets wet. I mean, your bike, do what you want, etc... but seriously, it tarnishes so quickly. Why would you get those hydraulic switches when you have the original switches in place? Also, they have a tendency to fail.

WWW.HONDACB1.CO.NR
Go to Top of Page

hendo

United Kingdom
23 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2007 :  13:48:43  Show Profile
Hiya TekroG,

Sounds like your getting on with your project and leaving me behind now

This will be such a nieve question, and I apologise to all you experts out there (but asking nieve questions is what this forum is for right ) - but what are these 'hydraulic' switches that you are talking about

Also TekroG......do you mind if I ask you how much ur shocks set you back?.....they look nice. Are they standard CB400 SF ones?

Lastly.....any chance of seeing some pics of the bike TekroG?

Regards,

Graeme

Edited by - hendo on 04/05/2007 13:49:22
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
400GreyBike.co.uk © 2006 400GreyBike - All Rights Reserved Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000