Buy 400GB merchandise and Products from The Shop  
  Todays Date Is: 4/28/2024 Contact Us | Home | Donations | About 400GB | Disclaimer|
Home | Profile | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
 All Forums
 GSXR400 Owners
 The Workshop - GSXR Owner
 GK73 carb nightmare
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Chris b.a.r.f.

Denmark
2 Posts

Posted - 20/05/2003 :  10:04:19  Show Profile
Hmm. My GK73's started running on 3 cylinders after the bugger ran out of fuel - we've checked the compression, no problems there, the carbs have been cleaned out (new main jets too), plugs are sparking fine and so on, but it's *still* running on 3. Occasionally it'll run on all 4, but not for long. It won't idle at all unless the choke's fully on... Anyone have any idea what the problem might be?

furry

United Kingdom
1828 Posts

Posted - 20/05/2003 :  15:41:35  Show Profile  Visit furry's Homepage
There is 4 Carbs on the GK73A, swap one of them around with the one you think that doesn't work just to check it's the carb thats faulty and not something else.

Could be anything from timing problems, electrical leak, valve problems etc etc, you need to rule out each thing before assuming the carb is knackered (allthough on this bike, you would prolly be right lol)

Oh PS, each carb has got a drain screw on the bottom where the float is, try un-doing that to see if fuel will run through, cos you might have air trapped in here, then do the screw back up and try her, just a thought :)

www.gsxr400.co.uk Run by gsxr400 owners for gsxr400 owners! (Furry is Founder)
Go to Top of Page

Chris b.a.r.f.

Denmark
2 Posts

Posted - 20/05/2003 :  15:50:10  Show Profile
Thanks for the advice - spoke to my mechanic today and he's sure it's the carbs. The motor itself is dead healthy, most of the top end is pretty new. So we're more or less certain it's the carbs now (like you said, with this bike..:), especially since the problems started the moment it ran out of petrol on the way to work one day - the carbs were simply totally full of crap. Why didn't I buy that inline fuel filter? why? :) I'll give your suggestion a shot, but it's beginning to look more and more like it's going to end up being a new set of carbs...
Go to Top of Page

furry

United Kingdom
1828 Posts

Posted - 20/05/2003 :  20:27:33  Show Profile  Visit furry's Homepage
Well m8, get em fully checked out if you can first, a little bit of time and effort could save you alot of £'s !!!

Failing be able to fix em, don't get a new set, just replace the one carb thats playing up, sounds like cos you ran out of fuel **** from the bottom of the tank got in there and prolly stopped the needle moving or something, it happens, get yaself a small fuel filter from halfords they are about £3, worth every penny lol :)

PS: If you use a fuel filter and run out of fuel again, you will get an airlock in the filter/carbs and you wont be able to run the bike lolol, so make sure ya never run out of fuel, unless ya fancy taking a tool kit with ya, or if ya can be bothered, fit an extention from the fuel filter to the breather pipe that runs up inside the tank :)

Go to Top of Page

ishvara

Russia
18 Posts

Posted - 20/05/2003 :  21:57:16  Show Profile  Visit ishvara's Homepage
If the bike is running on 3 cylinders only at tickover,
but is still performing well on full throttle,
you should clean the idle jet. This jet is very-very
thin and could be a problem to clean well.
Use specal fluids and compressed air for this.
If you are not getting the full power at all
check if the fuel is coming to this particular
carb, fuel level in it and the spark plug.
The spark plug is getting wet very quickly and
might not make a spark.
Clean and dry the plug after every unsuccessfull attempt.
And one more thing to try.
While the engine is off, disconnect the high-voltage
wire from the appropriate spark plug, but keep it on the plug.
Start the engine and carefully move the high-voltage wire
from the spark plug by 5-7mm to get the second spark gap.
If you will see good signs then keep the second spark gap
for 3-5 min and then switch the engine off and reconnect the
high-voltage cap.
Go to Top of Page

furry

United Kingdom
1828 Posts

Posted - 21/05/2003 :  03:22:41  Show Profile  Visit furry's Homepage
That reply is rocket science to me! lol

Anyway let me know how ya get on m8, some time and effort is wot ya bike needs, not lots of money :)

I'm no expert on carbs, but like I said identify to problem carb (which ya did) then quickly replace it with a different one, then if you dont get the problems with that one, then you know its deffo that carb that you thought it was in the first place, then either take it apart and sort it out (unless it is just something like idle adjustment (but if you hadn't touched it before, it shouldn't be a problem now), if it is rather than pissing around with trial and error, get a carb meter off a mate or someone) or replace it with anonther one :)

Go to Top of Page

fireman

United Kingdom
35 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2003 :  11:52:49  Show Profile
mate def sounds like ur slow speed idle jet, if it all started from running out of fuel? sounds like some crud has got in there, u say carbs are clean did u clean them? when clean carbs u need to take them all apart not just clean the float bowls! especially if it runs on 4 when reving, anyway good luck, but i would be taking those carbs off again.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
400GreyBike.co.uk © 2006 400GreyBike - All Rights Reserved Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000