Buy 400GB merchandise and Products from The Shop  
  Todays Date Is: 3/28/2024 Contact Us | Home | Donations | About 400GB | Disclaimer|
Home | Profile | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
 All Forums
 GSXR400 Owners
 The Workshop - GSXR Owner
 Revving problem 1987 GK71F
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

jonboy

United Kingdom
31 Posts

Posted - 25/04/2003 :  00:26:51  Show Profile
Hi

I have a 1987 GSXR 400R (GK71F) which is not a grey import (Now there's a surprise). I bought the bike as a basket case 5 years ago and its all together and running now - apart from.... It doesn't want to rev past 11K. It will rev in neutral right up to the redline but not when riding it. Any clues what it might be?

Jonboy

fireman

United Kingdom
35 Posts

Posted - 25/04/2003 :  19:52:00  Show Profile
jonboy, well by the small amount of info, it might seem as if it is restricted, via a rev limiter, linked to speed or if in gear? does it rev all the way when u hold the clutch in and its in gear?
how does it run when at 11K? smooth? feels like fuel starvation? or cylinder not firing?
Go to Top of Page

jonboy

United Kingdom
31 Posts

Posted - 26/04/2003 :  21:25:11  Show Profile
To be honest - It seems like a misfire, but that would be the same for fuel starvation.... If I dip the clutch It will rev freely again.

There is a little orange light that comes on at 50mph but the problem even happens in first gear - way before speed can be an issue.

Go to Top of Page

ishvara

Russia
18 Posts

Posted - 27/04/2003 :  12:10:12  Show Profile  Visit ishvara's Homepage
A couple of questions:
1) Apart of not revving - is it running OK?
I mean is it delivering the full power and what top speed can you reach?
2) What is the colour of the spark plugs? Check all four. Should be
neither black nor white - kind of sand-yellow.
And a short check-list for u:
1) Air filter
2) Petrol - hope you are not using the one which is 5 years old ;-))
(it may sound stupid - sorry - but I know some guys who did!)
3) Are all 4 cylinders running?
4) When you accelerate to 11K on the 1st or 2nd gear try to open the choke for 10-20 seconds. Will it rev higher or vice versa?

Cheers.
Anton.
Go to Top of Page

furry

United Kingdom
1828 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2003 :  19:22:07  Show Profile  Visit furry's Homepage
m8...

I got the Service manual here for the GK71F british model, its limited in the CDI to 11'500rpm, which I think is foosin stupid, but there ya go.

Mine is a grey import that I'm trying to get running (if you read my other post "holy s**t" ya would see why it still aint lol

I quote from the manual...

"Igntion xur-off circuit is incorporated in the ignitor to prevent over-running engine, If engine r/min reaches 11'500 r/min, this circuit cuts off the ignition primary current for Nos. 1 and 4 spark plugs, and ignition starts again if r/min falls about 20 r/min"

So m8, you got 2 options...

Get a CDI that ain't restricted...

OR (If your a clever chappy)

Notice it says it only cuts off No1 and No 4, well the GK71F has to signal coils, you could use a second CDI unit on your bike (with the same cut-off built in, but switch the signal coils wires going into it round, and have that firing No1 and No4)

see genious boy

I suggested the two CDI's idea, cos I think your gonna struggle to find a CDI for that type of bike which ain't restricted, I ain't had a chance to run mine yet, but I think the jap version may also suffer from this problem!

www.gsxr400.co.uk Run by gsxr400 owners for gsxr400 owners! (Furry is Founder)
Go to Top of Page

jonboy

United Kingdom
31 Posts

Posted - 26/05/2003 :  21:27:25  Show Profile
Thanks for the info - You're right - That is stupid! I thought that was where the power was meant to be!!!

If you have a copy of the manual, would you be able to scan and mail the pages on carb set up?

Weird twin carbs and haven't got a clue how to set them up properly...

Regarding this CDI problem - You'd think someone would sell a "gizmo" to get around the problem.

Look forward to hearing from you
Go to Top of Page

furry

United Kingdom
1828 Posts

Posted - 28/05/2003 :  02:50:27  Show Profile  Visit furry's Homepage
lo m8...

as far as I know the CDI can't be derestricted, it's not restricted cos of country location crap, its actually to protect the engine believe it or not lol, emmm I donno I reckon plenty of poke at 11'500rpm but if ya want more short of getting a non restricted CDI (unlikely) or cross matching two CDI's to do it I dont think your gonna have much luck (unless ya goto radio shack and build ya own lolol)

Let me know how you get on m8, in the meantime I think your the one who emailed me about carb sheets, I'll get scanner in next cpl of days and do them for ya, no probs dood happy riding :)

Go to Top of Page

jonboy

United Kingdom
31 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2003 :  16:21:57  Show Profile
Spoke to a mechanic yesterday who reckons the only restriction on the CDI is caused by the tacho needle making contact on a pin in the tacho - which then cuts out 2 of the cylinders. He reckons that all you need to do is break the pin off and away you go! Still dont understand why a bike with a red line at 13500 is restricted to 11500.

I've just bought a VFR 750 so am pissed off with my Gixxer now. Anyone want to buy it?

£750 and its yours.
Go to Top of Page

furry

United Kingdom
1828 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2003 :  00:05:54  Show Profile  Visit furry's Homepage
Lo m8....

Wot colour is ya GSXR???

Friend of mine Ann got her CBR400 nicked, she posts on here somewhere, anyway looking for some wheels for her, but shes fussy!!! lol

Let me know, looking at a few others too, got one this weekend all in black for me for £400, yey! no doubt be posting lots about that on here lol

Take care m8, I'll try to scan in carbs tomorrow :)

Go to Top of Page

furry

United Kingdom
1828 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2003 :  14:11:00  Show Profile  Visit furry's Homepage
M8...

my latest gsxr, is import, is GK71F and even though restricted in the carbs still took her upto 14k, I found power faded a bit after 13k though, but that could be cos of restrictors. (So think your brit model is restricted, soz dood)

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
400GreyBike.co.uk © 2006 400GreyBike - All Rights Reserved Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000