Buy 400GB merchandise and Products from The Shop  
  Todays Date Is: 4/30/2024 Contact Us | Home | Donations | About 400GB | Disclaimer|
Home | Profile | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
 All Forums
 VFR & RVF Owners
 The Workshop
 Small Problemo
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

chrislb

United Kingdom
8 Posts

Posted - 27/03/2008 :  21:04:01  Show Profile
Managed to get a pair of sp1 calipers of which was stung nearly 100 quid and got the adaptor kit off Rick, and well i can't get any pressure in the lever whatsover, i can pull it right back to the bar before the brakes actually "start" to work, this has already happened to the original vfr m/c and got a blade m/c today but its doing the same??? Its bled properly got new hoses on and its really starting to pi$$ me off now, the pads that came with them are pretty much non-existent and just wondering if its the pads causing this prob, i haven't ridden the bike yet as its far too dangerous as i was running along with it and no braking at all!! So is it the pads?? Please say it is!!

Cheers

Christian

Smev
Familiar Member

United Kingdom
436 Posts

Posted - 27/03/2008 :  21:57:41  Show Profile
sounds to me as if they haven't been bled fully and there is still air in there getting squashed when you pull the lever in.

VFR NC30 Duke look-a-like, New Project - NC30 Stobart Rep and Hannspree track bike
Go to Top of Page

Cammo
Forum Veteran

Australia
3023 Posts

Posted - 27/03/2008 :  22:04:26  Show Profile
It needs more bleeding. The air will usually be caught up the m/c end somewhere, I use a banjo bolt with a bleed nipple on the m/c, fixes it up quick smart.

Give it a good proper bleed, tie the lever back to teh bar overnight (with a cable tie or rubber band), then bleed again a couple of times in the morning. Do it again overnight if necessary.

I DUG the underground!
Go to Top of Page

chrislb

United Kingdom
8 Posts

Posted - 27/03/2008 :  22:06:12  Show Profile
any ideas on how to bleed the m/c with just normal banjo?
Go to Top of Page

Cammo
Forum Veteran

Australia
3023 Posts

Posted - 27/03/2008 :  22:37:10  Show Profile
Tieing the lever back will help to force the air to the bottom of the hoses, worth a shot. If it improves the lever feel, do it again overnight.

...or you could bleed them with the calipers off the bike raised above the lever (air rises).

I DUG the underground!
Go to Top of Page

giff

United Kingdom
1414 Posts

Posted - 27/03/2008 :  23:11:22  Show Profile  Visit giff's Homepage
A handy trick is to draw up a syringe of brake fluid and push it up through the caliper to the master cylinder.
If any air is still trapped at the master cylinder banjo you can wrap a rag around it and a spanner and under pressure slightly crack it open then tighten.

Giff
Go to Top of Page

chillibean76
Settled In Member

United Kingdom
102 Posts

Posted - 28/03/2008 :  00:58:29  Show Profile
I use a mitivac, cant recomend them enough. 5 min job

K7 GSXR 750, 98 RVF RT, RVF RR Track Bike
Go to Top of Page

shokrabi
Settled In Member