Buy 400GB merchandise and Products from The Shop  
  Todays Date Is: 4/19/2024 Contact Us | Home | Donations | About 400GB | Disclaimer|
Home | Profile | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
 All Forums
 VFR & RVF Owners
 The Workshop
 Dyno Graphs
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

viper_biker
Administrator

Ireland
7563 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2007 :  12:34:53  Show Profile  Visit viper_biker's Homepage
Following on from a recent post (and a few in the past as well) lets get you Dyno charts up here and a little list of the mods done to help hike the power up (changing the gearing or using sticky tyres does not increase BHP, although HRC stickers do )

Here's a few of mine.

Social worker: "Glen honey, I got a question for you. What do you do for a living?
Quagmire: "I got a question for you. Why are you still here?"

Tanuki
Bike washed twice a year

United Kingdom
8194 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2007 :  13:00:05  Show Profile
Mine....

RVF, HRC CDI, full Ethos, short bellmouths, No airbox mods, decent dyno operator.

Ha ha ha, oh my God! I almost didn't do it, I almost didn't do it! I thought, is this in bad taste? But you know what, I went for it. I went for it and I'm so glad I did! Ooooh, worth it, totally worth it.

Edited by - Tanuki on 08/11/2007 13:02:42
Go to Top of Page

StephenRC45

United Kingdom
828 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2007 :  13:28:58  Show Profile

Not my RVF but a customers

Before. All stock RVF

After. HRC CDI, Jet kit, half system, bell mouths, air filter

'94 HRC kitted RC45, '89 F3 NSR250, '91 HRC TT F3 MC21, '88 HRC TT F3 MC18 '92 CBR900RRN. Now building '89 RS250.
Go to Top of Page

monkeywithaplan

Ireland
724 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2007 :  18:29:22  Show Profile
just got mine done today.

this is my rvf with a yammy half system and a blueflame. no carb mods unless you include HRC slide spings, oh and its a pipercross airfilter, not OE

On the lookout for a cheap VFR400. Cosmetically, dont really care, must be mechanically sound. Must get me home :)
Go to Top of Page

viper_biker
Administrator

Ireland
7563 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2007 :  18:34:21  Show Profile  Visit viper_biker's Homepage
You happy with it Dave? I certainly wouls. I thought the 116's were gonna be a bit big but that graph is really smooth and the a/f looks about spot on as well. How does she ride now compared to before/mine and what is it like down low?

Social worker: "Glen honey, I got a question for you. What do you do for a living?
Quagmire: "I got a question for you. Why are you still here?"
Go to Top of Page

VickersUK
Familiar Member

United Kingdom
271 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2007 :  19:24:30  Show Profile
Standard air filter, end can, presume its been rejetted because the fueling is spot on. I got to say I think the results of the Dynapro dyno we use at work looks a lot more detailed then the djynojet dynos, and are reknowned for overreading!

Go to Top of Page

crm250
Roll on may

United Kingdom
4821 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2007 :  19:36:12  Show Profile  Visit crm250's Homepage

This was my old 89 NC30 with a 3/4 yamamoto system and rvf carbs. it pulled like a train compared to my identical UK spec bike wearing the same carbs / pipe. go figure !

CRM in "sold a bike" shocker
Go to Top of Page

speedy

United Kingdom
2439 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2007 :  20:38:59  Show Profile  Visit speedy's Homepage
RVF400 with Yamamoto pipes + can, Pipercross air filter and HRC CDI; I've not touched the carbs and as far as I know, it still has standard size jets. I've another race can which has a wider core and a 62mm exit port that I might try with the Yammi pipes, then get it on the Dyno again.

When the mind is relaxed, the body will go faster!
Go to Top of Page

CMSMJ1
Forum Veteran

United Kingdom
3623 Posts

Posted - 16/11/2007 :  20:20:28  Show Profile

this is the lame pic of the first run I had done to my bike.
ART can on cut pipes, std airbox, NC30 carbs with 120/122 jets.
It hit the speed limiter and if you cannot read it... it says 60.9 bhp

I have another on the same dyno abnout a year later which shows the change that some pipes and some carbs fettling can do. I think this dyno was reading high btw - but my bike is fast :-P

89 NC30 my mate Number 9

IMPERATOR REX ANGLORUM
Go to Top of Page

crm250
Roll on may

United Kingdom
4821 Posts

Posted - 23/12/2007 :  11:36:41  Show Profile  Visit crm250's Homepage
here is another dyno graph from the other week. Bike is a UK spec NC30 with a Yamamoto stainless 3/4 system, RVF carbs, Short bellmouths, standard air filter and box, and 115 / 117 main jets.
Now while it looks pretty healthy it rides "not the best", dont get me wrong its ok and carburates cleanly, but when you ride a goodun, they just want to pull. this one doesnt and needs to be worked more than others i have ridden. See the dip at 4.5k ? well its like this, most NC's on a motorway you start doing 70 and before you know it you creep to 90 with ease, this one is the other way, it slows down unless you think. it needs more work to ride fast is what i am saying. i am sure getting rid of that dip would make a huge difference to the way it rides.

Go to Top of Page

Tanuki
Bike washed twice a year

United Kingdom
8194 Posts

Posted - 27/12/2007 :  12:33:57  Show Profile
I have the same kind of dip on the RVF paul and I dont notice it at all.

Ha ha ha, oh my God! I almost didn't do it, I almost didn't do it! I thought, is this in bad taste? But you know what, I went for it. I went for it and I'm so glad I did! Ooooh, worth it, totally worth it.
Go to Top of Page

chrisxr750
Familiar Member

United Kingdom
435 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2008 :  02:30:32  Show Profile  Visit chrisxr750's Homepage
As said above about the the dyno figures altering using sticky tyres etc making a difference then the answer definatly is yes.
I have found straping the bike down hard ( a must for crappy tyres) on the dynos chassis reduces figures definatly, chain friction is picked up also to as much as 2 hp i spayed a penertrating release spray on a chain doing a back to back run and made almost 2 hp on a 600. The biggest thing i seen was room temparature a rise in room temperature of 10 degrees made a new 600 loose almost 4 hp. Also what should be looked at on your dyno sheets is the graph smoothing used if any, a spikey (caused by many reasons: chain, ignition pulse iregularities, flatspotted tyres, lumpy running etc etc etc ) graph will give a higher peek number that isnt exactly true. I find it very dificult to get totaly acurate results back to back on the dyno to the figure of sometimes almost + or - half a bhp its not the operation of the machine it is to do with all the slight variations of the many components that transmit all the energy in to wheel motion. This all may not seem like a great deal but when your looking for slight improvments from modifications made it gets tricky at least 3 runs are needed each time to get a good average but as tyres and dyno drum heats up and therefore the ambient room temperature increases evern if the room extracts the air from outside)as more runs are carried out figures may alter.
gonna try some hrc stickers tomorow see what gains are made

For cheap late night dyno time in the north west email me @ dynoproracing@gmail.com
Go to Top of Page

crm250
Roll on may

United Kingdom
4821 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2008 :  08:29:03  Show Profile  Visit crm250's Homepage
would valve clearances too tight cause the poor midrange running in my graph, i just cant seem to get that flatspot gone. it just seems to be at the point where it cuises and its a pain to ride round. uptop is fine though, not exactly quick but after being used to other bigger stuff its not fall asleep slow.

Go to Top of Page

chrisxr750
Familiar Member

United Kingdom
435 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2008 :  11:36:30  Show Profile  Visit chrisxr750's Homepage
id be pretty sure its the fuelling swaping from one circuit to another in the carbs may need a pilot jet or needle adjustment which rarely ever gets changed when set up, a quality needle kit could be the answer id be sure its either off the scale either lean or rich at that point of the rev range but different setups of exhausts seem to create or remove flat spots. Go through the basics first have the carbs balanced fit new plugs (check the compresion) posibly fit new air cleaner before you go adjusting anything plus set all carb settings as manual says.RVF HRC ignitor boxes help out up that area pretty well but they are getting pricey now. If your valve clearences are that tight to loose compresion the thing wouldnt idle well at all a compresion check could pick that up. A friend of mine has the same bikes with both having similair parts on them but his has a very clean pick up evern when the motor is swapped for a spare the only things the same is the carbs the ignition and the exhausts. Motor internals have little affect on that common flat spot.

For cheap late night dyno time in the north west email me @ dynoproracing@gmail.com
Go to Top of Page

Tanuki
Bike washed twice a year

United Kingdom
8194 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2008 :  14:28:52  Show Profile
Paul...Steve messed about with my carbs all day trying to get the dip on my graph out and if there is someone who kbnows V4 carbs its that man, it doesnt worry me that much though you hardy notice it.

Go to Top of Page

StephenRC45

United Kingdom
828 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2008 :  18:34:09  Show Profile
I would say CRM's dip is caused by something different to your Billys. You also have to remember that alot of dyno centers dont start runs at 2-3k. That way there is never a dip on their graphs. The bottom end is nearly almost always the hardest to sort out. As we have discussed we know whats holding yours back and that may also apply to the dip in power.

'94 HRC kitted RC45, '89 F3 NSR250, '91 HRC TT F3 MC21, '88 HRC TT F3 MC18 '92 CBR900RRN. Now building '89 RS250.
Go to Top of Page

crm250
Roll on may

United Kingdom
4821 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2008 :  18:42:45  Show Profile  Visit crm250's Homepage
If i could get it carbuarating well i would be made up with this bike, but i just dont want to ride it as its hard work to ride.
When i picked it up with standard pipe and carb setup, riding it back from luton it had an area around 7 - 8k where it really didnt want to pull round, and made like a flapping sound (bit like a slide bouncing or something) where it struggled. but you could ride around it.
anyway lifted the pipe and carb setup on my other VFR (yamamoto with RVF carbs on standard jetting and air) and these ran like a bullet on the other VFR, when fitted to the UK bike with nothing touched it was weak up top and still had this huge hole in the midrange.
jetting up a couple of sizes has helped a bit (esp up top) but its still just not that strong and has this annoying way of slowing down unless you are concentrating like the trottle is turning on the grip.
cams perhaps ?

Go to Top of Page

StephenRC45

United Kingdom
828 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2008 :  20:04:15  Show Profile
Not a 400 but this kit RC30 has an almost identical dip to yours CRM. On these its caused by link pipe dia.

Go to Top of Page

chrisxr750
Familiar Member

United Kingdom
435 Posts

Posted - 21/01/2008 :  22:56:40  Show Profile  Visit chrisxr750's Homepage
heres mine any way its getting stripped now and rebuilt peek on my dyno was 72.2bhp with 30lbs ft torqure it definatly read higher on a dynojet 250

Go to Top of Page

chrisxr750
Familiar Member

United Kingdom
435 Posts

Posted - 22/01/2008 :  00:21:51  Show Profile  Visit chrisxr750's Homepage
mine has specialy modified heads our ram air,twin stack system hrc this and that loads removed off all the internal running gears runs a electric water pump lightend this and that .........alsorts unfortunatly it has the slowest racer on board who is usualy nursing a hangover to do the bike any justice.
That bike should be fuel injected very soon if anyone has a rolling chassis they arent to rsed about and fancy first dibs on a fuel injection system for a v4 email me i have the controler and the throttle bodies and injectors i wish to use just gotta get a fuel rail and bits and sods made up then some serious setup time.... it will be done !

Go to Top of Page

Arqangel

Australia
40 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2008 :  01:56:52  Show Profile
here is my chart ,, all standard with 118/120 jets

ummmm cant seem to attach the image !!

Edited by - Arqangel on 04/02/2008 02:00:33
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 Forum Locked