Buy 400GB merchandise and Products from The Shop  
  Todays Date Is: 5/21/2024 Contact Us | Home | Donations | About 400GB | Disclaimer|
Home | Profile | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
 All Forums
 VFR & RVF Owners
 The Workshop
 charging problems (done a search)
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Clapshot
Settled In Member

United Kingdom
173 Posts

Posted - 24/03/2008 :  17:41:20  Show Profile
I'm having charging problems with my rvf400.

I'm pretty thick when it comes to electrics but having done a search these are the results i have found, hopefully someone might be able to point me in the right direction.

After a full charge the battery read 13.4V (straight after taking the optimate off)
Bike idling at 1k rpm 12.2V (lights and indicators on as they are always on)
bike sitting at 5k rpm 12.7v

I measured the resistance over the three yellow wires and the engine casing, i got 4.83 ohms on all three.

does this determine the problem at all? I tried following this website http://www.electrosport.com/technical-resources/library/diagnosis/pdf/fault-finding-diagram.pdf
and this thread http://www.400greybike.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true&TOPIC_ID=54702&SearchTerms=regulator,rectifier
but a few bits baffled me so these results are all i got.

cheers

wullvfr
Settled In Member

United Kingdom
160 Posts

Posted - 24/03/2008 :  19:58:04  Show Profile
when you check the charge rate its to be done without lights....and it should be between 13.5-15.5volts @5000rpm.the block connector on the right side of the engine casing where the 3yellow wires come from the alternator should be between i think 0.5-2ohms(if i remeber correctly)and no resistance when you test a yellow wire and ground earth.what i would also do is at the same three wires test the ac voltage output of the alternator and the readings should all be the same and above 50ac volts @5000rpm.if any readings are below 50volts or if one is not the same then the stator windings are faulty
Go to Top of Page

Clapshot
Settled In Member

United Kingdom
173 Posts

Posted - 24/03/2008 :  20:12:05  Show Profile
cheers for that, i'll have another pop at it tomorrow and see how i get on.
Go to Top of Page

CMSMJ1
Forum Veteran

United Kingdom
3623 Posts

Posted - 24/03/2008 :  20:48:40  Show Profile
I'll bet your block connector is knackered. Seems very similar to my last charging maladies whichi was a burned connector...after the reg rec and battery already replaced and killing it..

89 NC30 my mate Number 9

IMPERATOR REX ANGLORUM
Go to Top of Page

Clapshot
Settled In Member

United Kingdom
173 Posts

Posted - 24/03/2008 :  23:09:37  Show Profile
The block connector that the yellow wires pass through?
Go to Top of Page

chrisxr750
Familiar Member

United Kingdom
435 Posts

Posted - 24/03/2008 :  23:25:35  Show Profile  Visit chrisxr750's Homepage
the plug or the reg rec terminals become burnt and cause poor conections. common failure

For cheap late night dyno time in the north west email me @ dynoproracing@gmail.com
Go to Top of Page

CMSMJ1
Forum Veteran

United Kingdom
3623 Posts

Posted - 25/03/2008 :  00:04:25  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Clapshot

The block connector that the yellow wires pass through?

Yes.

on the right, in that large "clump" of connectors.

89 NC30 my mate Number 9

IMPERATOR REX ANGLORUM
Go to Top of Page

Clapshot
Settled In Member

United Kingdom
173 Posts

Posted - 25/03/2008 :  15:31:33  Show Profile
ok, bet you can't tell i'm at the 'learning' stage lol
Go to Top of Page

wullvfr
Settled In Member

United Kingdom
160 Posts

Posted - 25/03/2008 :  18:40:29  Show Profile
if you are still gonna do the resistance check,the ohms reading should be between 0.1 and 1 ohms...not the 0.5 and 2 i put on the earlier reply.i wouldnt be surprised if the connections are poor or something similar but usually a visual check gives it away.
Go to Top of Page

Clapshot
Settled In Member

United Kingdom
173 Posts

Posted - 26/03/2008 :  16:16:37  Show Profile
i got 0.483 ohms then. I was reading something else where it said i should get something in a different range therefore i assumed that it must have been 4.83 ohms i had 9i.e. think i had the voltmeter ranges wrong).
Go to Top of Page

Clapshot
Settled In Member

United Kingdom
173 Posts

Posted - 26/03/2008 :  18:04:59  Show Profile
Tried testing things again tonight, the voltage across the batt terminals when idling is 12.6 V and 13V when at 5k rpm [this time with lights and indicators disconnected]. I couldn't get a resistance across the wires like i did before so not sure what i'm not doing with that. Nothing appears to be melted at all.

I think i'm just going to get a new reg/rec and hope that that is all that is wrong with it.
Go to Top of Page

wullvfr
Settled In Member

United Kingdom
160 Posts

Posted - 26/03/2008 :  18:21:20  Show Profile
if the reg rec was faulty then you would probably get no charge at the battery ie.the volts would reduce when you rev it or a ridiculously high reading as the reg rec is not regulating the output of the alternator.the connector on the right side of the bike,the one with the three wires you want to set your multimeter to ohms k setting....and test the three wires,its the side that comes from the alternator.what you can do instead if your struggling to set the multimeter to the correct setting is switch it to alternating current volts so thats ac volts and test the three wires @5000rpm....if any readings are different than eachother or if even one is less that 50 volts then the stator is faulty.
Go to Top of Page

Clapshot
Settled In Member

United Kingdom
173 Posts

Posted - 26/03/2008 :  18:36:30  Show Profile
I set it to ohms before and got 0.483 on all three wires (2 days ago) but did it again tonight and didn't get a reading.

It's not setting the multimeter that is getting me but how to test it.

Tog get the correct reading should i,

-be taking the block connector apart and making the circuit back up via the multimeter?

-put the multimeter either side of the block connector?

-or something else?

Sorry for being so thick i'm just not too sure. Think i'm going red just asking the question lol

P.S. I got 0.483 ohms by stickin the one end of the multimeter into one end of the block connector and the other end of the multimeter into the other side of the block conector (for the same wire though)

I've always hated electronics since school lol

Edited by - Clapshot on 26/03/2008 18:39:43
Go to Top of Page

wullvfr
Settled In Member

United Kingdom
160 Posts

Posted - 26/03/2008 :  20:39:29  Show Profile
when you test the the resistance its on the 1 block connector....4get the other sidethe side you want is the one with the female connectors and by this i mean they go in the way.i would if i was you do the ac volts test the voltage output of the alternator.what you do is put the black lead on 1 female connector and the positive on the other on the same block and take 3 seperate readings and if any are different or if any are less than 50volts then the alternator is faulty....
Go to Top of Page

Clapshot
Settled In Member

United Kingdom
173 Posts

Posted - 26/03/2008 :  20:46:47  Show Profile
i'll give that a try the morn, me voltmeter doesn't have black/red laeds, it's a pen type one (still with two leads though), should still work though, will probably only change the fact that's it's negative or positive.

Cheers again wull, if you ever come upto Orkney i'll need to buy ya a dram or two!
Go to Top of Page

wullvfr
Settled In Member

United Kingdom
160 Posts

Posted - 26/03/2008 :  20:51:51  Show Profile
i have the exact same problem at the moment....i done all the checks and it turned out to hopefully that the alternator was gubbed.....i got a used one today which i will fit tomorrow and hopefully that will be that.
Go to Top of Page

Clapshot
Settled In Member

United Kingdom
173 Posts

Posted - 26/03/2008 :  20:55:55  Show Profile
just out of interest, how much is an alternator?
Go to Top of Page

wullvfr
Settled In Member

United Kingdom
160 Posts

Posted - 26/03/2008 :  21:43:25  Show Profile
rick oliver does one for £60 thats delivered.....ive seen a few online that are around £55 but thats excluding vat and postage but usually someone is selling one on ebay.i got mine from the for sale section on this forum.i wanted one cheap just incase it wasnt the problem even though im positive it is.
Go to Top of Page

Clapshot
Settled In Member

United Kingdom
173 Posts

Posted - 26/03/2008 :  22:57:17  Show Profile
ah well that's no too bad.

No doubt after i get some figures i'll be back on here with more questions. Hopefully this time they are conclusive results though!
Go to Top of Page

Clapshot
Settled In Member

United Kingdom
173 Posts

Posted - 27/03/2008 :  21:22:18  Show Profile
Ok, well been upto the bike again and tried to find the ac voltage across the block connector that the 3 yellow wires run through. Thing is, i didn't get a reading so i think i must be doing it wrong. I took a pic of how i was trying to get a reading to see if i was doing it right?

Hope these show what i'm trying to do.

Cheers
Go to Top of Page

wullvfr
Settled In Member

United Kingdom
160 Posts

Posted - 28/03/2008 :  07:01:36  Show Profile
what you need to do is take the block connectors apart.so they are seperate.the one you want to test is the one coming from the alternator.the other oe goes to the reg rec.the one coming from the alternator usually has female connectors inside which goe in the way.then you test between each of them taking a total of three readings.you can do the ohms check again for resistance and then you can do the ac voltage check.now the block connctor might be different from mine where the male connector is the one coming from the alternator so when you do the ac voltage test which is @5000rpm you will know which one comes from the alternator as the other one will not give a reaing.inside the blocks you will see the 3 connectors and these are where you put the probes one probe on one and the other probe on the other and you can do it so you take three different readings.ohms should be between 0.1-1 and the ac voltage should all be the same and 50volts and above...if any is less than 50 then its the stator windings that are faulty....hope this helps!!!!!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
400GreyBike.co.uk © 2006 400GreyBike - All Rights Reserved Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000