Buy 400GB merchandise and Products from The Shop  
  Todays Date Is: 4/20/2024 Contact Us | Home | Donations | About 400GB | Disclaimer|
Home | Profile | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
 All Forums
 SuperFour & CB1 Owners
 The Workshop - SuperFour Owners
 Very noisy gearbox CB400SF
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

alexibrow
Settled In Member

United Kingdom
64 Posts

Posted - 13/02/2008 :  22:58:39  Show Profile
The gearbox has always been noisy on my bike, but I'm worried it's getting worse. There's the usual whines but there's also some grinding noises, especially noticeable in 6th gear at very low revs/speeds (20-30mph). When accelerating from a standstill there's some loud clicks/clunks that increase in frequency as the speed picks up.

The clutch is beginning to slip more and more also, and I wondered if the noises could be coming from the clutch rather than the gearbox, but most likely I reckon I'm losing some shaft bearings somewhere; has anyone else had similar problems, or any ideas what the culprit may be?

Thanks in advance.

It's not karma, its bikema.

superfourben

United Kingdom
505 Posts

Posted - 13/02/2008 :  23:18:43  Show Profile
When was the last oil change?

Good times!
Go to Top of Page

heppie
Settled In Member

United Kingdom
80 Posts

Posted - 14/02/2008 :  00:13:30  Show Profile
im getting the same noises, ive just gone past the oil change interval. I started to think it was bearings in the gearbox as it sounds very much like it, but was advised by a dealer they do make similar noises when the oil needs changing. Im gunna change it this weekend and ill get back with the results.
Go to Top of Page

alexibrow
Settled In Member

United Kingdom
64 Posts

Posted - 14/02/2008 :  20:51:38  Show Profile
Proper quality oil & genuine Honda filter change only 2000 miles ago. Not much in the way of swarf came out with the old oil either, thankfully.

Took it to a mechanic today - the chain is well slack and the front sprocket quite worn, so a new chain & sprocket set should sort it out he reckons. In the meantime, I'll tension the chain properly and see how much of a difference that makes.

He ran the bike up the road and back, and I have to say from where I was standing it sounded like chain noise rather than anything else.

Happy days! No expensive gearbox rebuild required (fingers xed), at least not yet!

Go to Top of Page

soundgarden
Familiar Member

United Kingdom
225 Posts

Posted - 15/02/2008 :  10:11:22  Show Profile
Good to hear it's going to be an easy fix.

Checking the chain tension is something I should really do on my bike. How often would a chain usually need tightened, and is it difficult to do? I'm just scared of doing it myself because I've never done it before. I helped my mate with his Super Four years ago. He tightened his but obviously did it too much and basically when he went out for a ride the next day the chain snapped off on him. So it scared me from doing it myself in case the same thing happens.
Go to Top of Page

heppie
Settled In Member

United Kingdom
80 Posts

Posted - 15/02/2008 :  17:15:19  Show Profile
just make sure it has 1 to 2 cm of play at the tightest point and you'll be fine
Go to Top of Page

Mansie
Settled In Member

United Kingdom
60 Posts

Posted - 17/02/2008 :  17:31:18  Show Profile  Visit Mansie's Homepage
I'd say 2.5 - 3.5 cm at the tightest spot but I have a later model. On the chainguard it says:

What does your manual say?
Cheers, Mansie
Go to Top of Page

alexibrow
Settled In Member

United Kingdom
64 Posts

Posted - 23/02/2008 :  15:04:45  Show Profile
Mine says 25-35mm as well.

So, my mechanic dropped off the bike on Thursday, having replaced the clutch, the chain and both sprockets. WOW! What a difference! It's a completely different bike to ride, no horrible noises and no clutch slip!

Soundgarden - I remember reading somewhere that you need to retension the chain every 600 miles, does anyone else know if that's right?

Edited by - alexibrow on 23/02/2008 15:06:57
Go to Top of Page

superfourben

United Kingdom
505 Posts

Posted - 23/02/2008 :  22:39:05  Show Profile
I've read you should clean and lube the chain every 600 miles, and so therefore you could probably check the tension as well. However, I clean and lube the chain every couple of weeks (my weekly commute is about 120 miles in total) and check the slack on the lower part of the chain as well as at the rear sprocket. The more you look after the chain the longer it will last. My current chain is at the end of its life and has done 25000 miles.
Have sent you an email with the Honda common service manual attached which gives the chain adjustment on page 2.21 I think.

Good times!

Edited by - superfourben on 23/02/2008 23:18:18
Go to Top of Page

uglygit
Settled In Member

United Kingdom
59 Posts

Posted - 17/03/2008 :  19:08:51  Show Profile
my cb1 has the origional chain and sprockets at 25k km, although it has over half the distance of the wear sticker to go it is a bit noisy but the sprockets are good and the chain doesn't pull pff the back of them,

If your suspecting gearbox noise does the box sound the same with clutch pulled in as with clutch out, A noisy bearing will sound kinda like static/white noise on a tube type tv set. Clutch hub bearing wear faster than gearbox bearings so it might be worth pulling the clutch cover off and giving the clutch a wiggle to see if the bearing feels loose, whilst your at it check the little thrust bearing the actauter rod sits against.
Go to Top of Page

alexibrow
Settled In Member

United Kingdom
64 Posts

Posted - 18/03/2008 :  21:26:20  Show Profile
Uglygit - thanks for the reply, but you're a bit late! All fixed thanks (see above).

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
400GreyBike.co.uk © 2006 400GreyBike - All Rights Reserved Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000