Buy 400GB merchandise and Products from The Shop  
  Todays Date Is: 4/20/2024 Contact Us | Home | Donations | About 400GB | Disclaimer|
Home | Profile | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
 All Forums
 SuperFour & CB1 Owners
 General Discussion
 Lovely weather for ducks!
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

alexibrow
Settled In Member

United Kingdom
64 Posts

Posted - 15/01/2008 :  20:21:16  Show Profile
Well, after commuting in all weathers since passing my test in October, I finally wimped out of riding the 25 miles up the A23/M23 to work today, as the forecast was for heavy rain and 50mph winds with 70mph gusts. I still find strong winds a bit frightening to be honest.

Anyway, I'm glad I took the van, because they closed the A23 southbound at Handcross due to flooding. I ended up doing a very slow detour via Handcross village, driving through deep floodwaters and even had to turn back at one point due to another road closure! Visibility was awful and it was indeed very windy. Took me nearly 1 1/2 hours to get home!

Think I might take the van again tomorrow...

It's not karma, its bikema.

Edited by - alexibrow on 15/01/2008 20:31:59

a_morti

United Kingdom
1344 Posts

Posted - 15/01/2008 :  22:39:46  Show Profile
I rode over the Itchen toll bridge in southampton today. Won't be doing that tomo if conditions are similar. Freaking scary!

WWW.HONDACB1.CO.NR
+ NC29 swingarm ('29 wheels soon), Quill T3 Ti, lots of black, blade rear hangers, beet rearsets, brembo brake. Top mods: BT45's, touring screen & rack with 50L box! Stolen recovered, scumbags best not try again.

Edited by - a_morti on 17/01/2008 13:29:39
Go to Top of Page

alexibrow
Settled In Member

United Kingdom
64 Posts

Posted - 16/01/2008 :  19:41:50  Show Profile
Blimey, you're brave!

It's not karma, its bikema.
Go to Top of Page

a_morti

United Kingdom
1344 Posts

Posted - 17/01/2008 :  13:25:57  Show Profile
Took an alternate route yesterday and today. Although it saves me a bit of time, the 20p it costs is a) hassle to get it out your pocket and b) at least 2 miles worth of petrol money. Apparently they're making it free for bikes soon, so maybe when it's less windy I'll use it again.

WWW.HONDACB1.CO.NR
+ NC29 swingarm ('29 wheels soon), Quill T3 Ti, lots of black, blade rear hangers, beet rearsets, brembo brake. Top mods: BT45's, touring screen & rack with 50L box! Stolen recovered, scumbags best not try again.
Go to Top of Page

bloke

United Kingdom
4 Posts

Posted - 17/01/2008 :  20:10:15  Show Profile
the A40 overpass going into london was scary enough for me... nearly got blown into a van... i don't mind the rain.. its the crosswinds i can't bloody stand... scares the crap out of me everytime.....
Go to Top of Page

Drewski
Settled In Member

United Kingdom
85 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2008 :  09:48:37  Show Profile
Riding in strong winds can be a bit er, disconcerting. I find it best to stick to about 50 if poss, and stick in the middle of the road/lane. Once you get used to it, riding in gusts can actualy be fun

Born To Ride, Ride To Born!
Go to Top of Page

soundgarden
Familiar Member

United Kingdom
225 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2008 :  10:03:55  Show Profile
Ha ha, fun, it's like having a Giant push you from one side, then from the other.

Feels like I'm doing a Slalom some times the amount i've swerving about in the lane. Going 70mph in the wind certainly ain't fun, but luckily i've only about 5 minutes worth of duel carriageway where i get battered about, the rest of my journey is filtering, which isn't as easy with the wind though.
Go to Top of Page

Drewski
Settled In Member

United Kingdom
85 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2008 :  12:06:17  Show Profile
One thing, I'd rather be on the bike in strong winds than the 7 and a half tonners at work - that does get hairy!

Born To Ride, Ride To Born!
Go to Top of Page

soundgarden
Familiar Member

United Kingdom
225 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2008 :  12:30:05  Show Profile
Suppose that is the good thing about a bike, you have the room to swerve about in the lane when the wind's blowing you. In a truck and even in a car you can't really go swerving about at all.

Roll on summer. Although i have noticed it being a bit warmer this week, the digits haven't been as close to frost bite as they had been.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
400GreyBike.co.uk © 2006 400GreyBike - All Rights Reserved Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000