Buy 400GB merchandise and Products from The Shop  
  Todays Date Is: 4/23/2024 Contact Us | Home | Donations | About 400GB | Disclaimer|
Home | Profile | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
 All Forums
 ZXR400 & ZZR400 Owner
 The Workshop - ZXR Owner
 Won't start (not electrical... i think)
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

matman
Familiar Member

United Kingdom
260 Posts

Posted - 28/10/2007 :  23:14:04  Show Profile
Here we have a ZXR 400 H model. Very nice 'n' all but it won't start.

Starter motor is a bit worn so will replace it but using the electric start the starter turns fine but nothing from engine at all.

Battery all charged up, stuck a multimeter around and looks as if the reg' is working fine so it looks like a mechanical problem.

Took out the HT leads and spark plugs, cleaned them up with a wire brush and WD-40 and re-gapped them but still nothing.

Apparantly the plugs are fairly new however they were covered in oil really clogged up.

Ideas?

"It's all fun and games until someone loses an eye... then it's just a game; find the eye!" -M. Marsh

"One death is a tragedy, a million is a statistic" -J. Stalin

"Our successes pass by unnoticed whilst we dwell on our failures" -Anon

"Although it's the early bird that catches the worm, it's the second mouse which gets the cheese." -Flop

zimm

United Kingdom
1378 Posts

Posted - 28/10/2007 :  23:17:31  Show Profile  Visit zimm's Homepage
you getting a spark ?

you can "foul" plugs real easy on these.. check you are getting a spark then try some known good plugs

jump starting off a car can help too as it'll spin the bugger a damn sight quicker than a tiddly battery !

sooo.. who wants to lend me 6k then ?
Go to Top of Page

Dam_Buster
Settled In Member

United Kingdom
164 Posts

Posted - 29/10/2007 :  00:18:44  Show Profile
is it even trying to start? or nothing at all? is it slow or does it just spin out?

Kawasaki make real mechanics. lolz

never ending struggle, Kawasaki Zxr400
Go to Top of Page

matman
Familiar Member

United Kingdom
260 Posts

Posted - 29/10/2007 :  11:45:38  Show Profile
There is a spark

"It's all fun and games until someone loses an eye... then it's just a game; find the eye!" -M. Marsh

"Although it's the early bird that catches the worm, it's the second mouse which gets the cheese." -Flop
Go to Top of Page

techie

New Zealand
919 Posts

Posted - 29/10/2007 :  18:43:24  Show Profile  Visit techie's Homepage
Ok, check that the plug leads are on the correct spark plugs, it's easy to mix them up and get the firing in the wrong order.make sure there is fuel going to the carbs, usually just pull the tube off the middle of the carbs and direct it into a catch bowl. Turn the engine over and fuel should spurt out. If it does not, then the fuel relay or fuel pump are likely causes.

Lose weight and go faster.
Go to Top of Page

matman
Familiar Member

United Kingdom
260 Posts

Posted - 29/10/2007 :  18:46:29  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by techie

Ok, check that the plug leads are on the correct spark plugs, it's easy to mix them up and get the firing in the wrong order.make sure there is fuel going to the carbs, usually just pull the tube off the middle of the carbs and direct it into a catch bowl. Turn the engine over and fuel should spurt out. If it does not, then the fuel relay or fuel pump are likely causes.

Brilliant will have a bash at this tomorrow when it's light! Thanks, will let you know the results.

Go to Top of Page

aquachimps

United Kingdom
1 Posts

Posted - 13/02/2008 :  17:44:00  Show Profile
Hi, I've now got a non starter ZXR 400. Always been a problem starting, but once started it runs fine ... until after it gets warm & I turn off the motor, it wont start again. If I waited 15 mins it was fine. Now after the winter, it wont fire up al all .... any clues , cheers !

Marky H
Go to Top of Page

matman
Familiar Member

United Kingdom
260 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2008 :  20:52:55  Show Profile
Well the answer to my original starting problem was cruddy fuel! Cleaned out the carbs with some carb-cleaner, rinsed the tank out with clean fuel then it fired straight away!

Go to Top of Page

Duane
Familiar Member

Australia
437 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2008 :  19:35:49  Show Profile
Good to hear you found the fault, wonder if the poor fuel is what was causing the dirty plugs.

Another reason for poor starting that is often overlooked is the Valve clearances, closed up valve clearances, more common on inlets, will cause the valves to not seat and with lower compresion starting is very difficult.

The older I get the Faster I was!
Go to Top of Page

lester8436

United Kingdom
43 Posts

Posted - 20/03/2008 :  12:12:15  Show Profile
i agree with duane, i have had very similar probs in the past caused by valve clearances i.e very hard at starting when cold but once things warm up and the valve is seated properly you get better clearances so will start easier next time. its always worth checking the clearances and adjusting them, will make things easier to start and also sort out any noisy tappets. and could use some of the stuff that you put in the oil "gunge" cleaner. will help to clean all the internal engine parts, regards lester

if you ride like thiers no tomorow thier wont be !
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
400GreyBike.co.uk © 2006 400GreyBike - All Rights Reserved Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000