Buy 400GB merchandise and Products from The Shop  
  Todays Date Is: 4/23/2024 Contact Us | Home | Donations | About 400GB | Disclaimer|
Home | Profile | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
 All Forums
 The Racer's Edge
 Events - Championships & Practice Rounds
 MRRDA Phillip Island Round
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

tarmac
Familiar Member

Australia
359 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2007 :  13:12:17  Show Profile  Visit tarmac's Homepage
Brief Race report

Friday practice.
Spent the first couple of sessions checking the bike over after fitting the suspension sensor and a few new parts eg clutch etc.
Rest of the day, tried some gearing combinations and found two setups that would work depending on the weather.

Sat.
Free practice 1
Kept getting rain on my screen so I lifted my head to see how bad it was. No rain on my visor, so perhaps it had stopped?
My feet were slipping off the pegs.
My visor got wet when I was behind the screen Sh*t
The catch tank for the tank breather had filled up with fuel under brakes.
I managed to borrow a 1 way valve off a fellow competitor and the problem was fixed. Graham,it's funny that a few riders I asked who had them as spares, wouldn't lend them. Perhaps they are too big for the paddock.....
6th quickest. I think.

FP2
In with a fast group of riders. Doing resonable times. Feel they are holding me up so make a good run on Wayne Forrest through T12. Go to use his draft for a pass on the exit. Faster, closer, closer..... Wayne shut the throttle on the exit (10 feet from the exit curb). I take evasive action, run out of curb and end up on the grass at around 170. When the tank slapping slows down I hop back on the track just after the start line.
No rain on the visor but my feet still slipping off the pegs
This time the radiator catch tank has over flowed spraying the side of the bike with water.
Dropped down the times a bit but only did a hand full of slowish laps.

Q1
Pour the water back in the radiator. It's lost a bit, but theres some in the belly pan. Figure thats where it went.
Try to go fast, go 1 second slower than FP2. Bikes running at 110 C
Q15th

Q2
After Q1, the catch tank was full again. Refill the rad, start the bike,.... bubbles.
Not many but enough. Head Gasket has blown. Decide to sit this one out.
Drop to 18th

Contemplate driving back to Melbourne to get the spare engine and tools to fit it (the only time I haven't carried the spare in the van and I need it)
I could just split the motor and reseal the head but it's a V4, two heads and the circuit shuts at 6. I'm not a big fan if dirt and dust in my engine so decide that's not happening.

Sunday

Warm up.
Add chemiweld to the rad to try and seal the leak. Follow the instructions which takes 20 minutes. Can't start the bike until 9.00am which is 5mins before our session so I sit that session out as well.

Race 1
5th row start.
Haven't even tried a start with the new clutch. Nearly do a pedrosa it's so grabby but a couple of smaller wheelies later I'm off down to T1.
Make the best use of the slip stream to pass riders and bridge gaps to the next group as I find them.
Pass loads of people. Finish 10th, Second C Grader
The Chemiweld isn't working the waters still being pushed out. Bubbles are getting worse. Refill with water fuel anyway, ready for race 2.

Race 2
5th row again.
Better start, not perfect yet.
Pass a load of people and then have a battle with Glenn Kettle and Scott Travers (On video). Finish 9th. 3rd C grader.

Final Race
Somehow I make it into the selections for the final. Row 5 start.
Get a good start. Pass a load as the brake for T1
Pass more through T3, hit the brakes, not slowing down........ -> Escape road.
Trev's gone up there as well. Look behind to see 4 bikes heading my way, one already on the floor. Gas it onto the grass to get out of the way.
Trev's bike has a problem. The exhaust spring is broke and it separates making the bike sound terrible. We are dead last.
Trev cuts a path through the field, I ride shotgun. Staying in line on the straights or sometimes giving him a slipstream to have drag his slowing bike along. If I'm behind, I stay in line to reduce the slipstream available to the following NSW riders. It's a team event, we need as many Vics in the points as possible.
Trev misses a gear going into T12 I have to shut off as well as I'm right behind. Trev runs onto the grass, I figure he's retired so I get my head down and pull a 49. Steve Tozers crashed but back up and running. He comes past me at T2. It's under yellow. He's clearly faster than me but I'm worried he'll get penalized and loose points for the VICs'. I'm saying nothing.
I keep my head down to the line, even throwing in a nice sideways entry to MG. It was cool, even if no one else saw it .
Finished 14th.

The end of the race saw a few bikes stripped, I wont go into what was found. I'll let the officials say if they want to, they have the full facts.

The round point are in question at the moment and a recount is being performed.
However the winner of the TriState was...........

Drum Roll........ Team VIC.
Wuhoo! GO VICS!

Duane got 2nd C grader. Well done mate.
Ken Onus got 2nd A/B Grader. Well done again.

I think I was about 7th/8th. We'll find out once the points are up.

www.tw-performance.com.au

stimpy

Australia
1347 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2007 :  05:23:49  Show Profile
i luved that second race..havnt had fun like that in ages!
how did u get on with editing the vid ian?
i search for a pic of us in front of glen tho muhaha
GO VICS!
stimpy

nc23....thats been Graeme'd!
Go to Top of Page

tarmac
Familiar Member

Australia
359 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2007 :  10:22:28  Show Profile  Visit tarmac's Homepage
I've edited the front and back, just doing the bit in the middle now. Adding the captions and music. Should be done soon.

Go to Top of Page

stimpy

Australia
1347 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2007 :  12:27:53  Show Profile
...if u want to add"see glen,your bum does look big in leather"i really wouldnt mind muhahaha

Go to Top of Page

Greggo
Settled In Member

Australia
154 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2007 :  06:43:55  Show Profile  Visit Greggo's Homepage
I raced the whole weekend with shagged head bearings. I thought to myself "that feels like my head bearings clicking", but then promptly wrote it off as I'd adjusted them at the last race.

Took the steering stem out and inspected them during the week, yeah, they wayyyyy gone. I didn't think the bars should move that much!!!

I want pie!
Go to Top of Page

stimpy

Australia
1347 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2007 :  09:19:01  Show Profile
greg...ive just worked out who you are!! will sort out getting your sprocket back to u,thanks for the loan...it worked a treat...unfortunatly my fitness wasnt as good ha
stimpy

Go to Top of Page

biggyports

Australia
35 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2007 :  22:21:35  Show Profile
Ahhh sounds like fun good fun...

hopefully i can drop my times a little more and ill be joining you guys next year. Good work Vics!

"If you follow, youll never pass"
Go to Top of Page

tarmac
Familiar Member

Australia
359 Posts

Posted - 13/11/2007 :  09:17:52  Show Profile  Visit tarmac's Homepage
here it is Part one anyway. Part 2 is even better.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5j8SLg6F5wM

Go to Top of Page

tarmac
Familiar Member

Australia
359 Posts

Posted - 13/11/2007 :  13:51:54  Show Profile  Visit tarmac's Homepage
Part 2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=73vEUu8Gp24

Edited by - tarmac on 14/11/2007 00:30:43
Go to Top of Page

Cammo
Forum Veteran

Australia
3023 Posts

Posted - 13/11/2007 :  23:33:58  Show Profile
Great vids Ian! It looked as though Stimpy was being held up several times through turn 2.

I like the music to the 2nd vid, rock on Papa Roach!

Bring on part 3...

I DUG the underground!
Go to Top of Page

tarmac
Familiar Member

Australia
359 Posts

Posted - 14/11/2007 :  01:20:56  Show Profile  Visit tarmac's Homepage
Yeah, he was blindingly fast on the entry. But there was no room up the inside. Needed a better plan I think.

Go to Top of Page

stimpy

Australia
1347 Posts

Posted - 14/11/2007 :  09:17:10  Show Profile
yeah...plan is,need more power hahahahahaha
nice work ian,the captions were funny as
i enjoyed racing with you guys!
stimpy

Go to Top of Page

Graeme France

United Kingdom
2129 Posts

Posted - 14/11/2007 :  19:44:41  Show Profile
Fantastic video - very envious.

Now you guys - how to spoil a winter evening in the UK - there's me from Trinidad - the missus from Taiwan all used to the warmth - the heater is going full blast in the workshop - I come back inside to see you post this fantastic video ...

I said to myself last year this would be my last UK winter - seems not to be - how does one open a race team down under ?

One very cold engineer !

Graeme

Meiling Li
Director
France and Li Asia Trading
Tel 07778 628448
Go to Top of Page

Jake strange
Familiar Member

United Kingdom
282 Posts

Posted - 14/11/2007 :  20:09:45  Show Profile
Im thinkin same bloody thing, fkin freezin me nuts off, and its just comin into yr summer over there init dudes?
Been watchin all yr vids there, really good man.top stuff.
I fancy some of that! I was over there a coupla years ago on a vfr, did a bit of ridin round blue mountains and have wanted to go back since..
Go to Top of Page

tarmac
Familiar Member

Australia
359 Posts

Posted - 14/11/2007 :  23:47:47  Show Profile  Visit tarmac's Homepage
Yeah, it's good here alright.
Graeme, How to start a race team down under.
You arrive, buy a bike, there you go. hehe.
I'm pretty sure if you come over, we'll find you a bike to ride :-D

Go to Top of Page

Cammo
Forum Veteran

Australia
3023 Posts

Posted - 15/11/2007 :  03:45:49  Show Profile
I'll offer mine up Graeme!

It's the fastest it will ever go...

I DUG the underground!
Go to Top of Page

stimpy

Australia
1347 Posts

Posted - 15/11/2007 :  05:07:08  Show Profile
just arrive graeme..its that easy,theres no problem with accomodation im sure.as for a team,i know of 2 riders that would race under the gf banner..
on another note,i might be over there in june...and a test on a hrc23 on a uk track would make my day/weekend hinthint
glad u liked the vid,we told u the island was wicked.
stimpy

Edited by - stimpy on 15/11/2007 07:44:00
Go to Top of Page

Greggo
Settled In Member

Australia
154 Posts

Posted - 15/11/2007 :  23:34:24  Show Profile  Visit Greggo's Homepage
Yo Tarmac,

Nice job on the videos. I learnt something watching that (Other than how slow I am).

What are the chances you get a couple of other cameras and point one at yourself from the instruments and one down the side of the bike on-board GP styles?

I love that kind of footage.

And a note to Biggyports - don't worry about your laptimes matey. I'm far from competitive and having a ball battling it out at the back of the consolation race.

I want pie!
Go to Top of Page

stimpy

Australia
1347 Posts

Posted - 16/11/2007 :  06:52:21  Show Profile
graeme,jake....its 5.44pm,friday arvo....its warm as at the mo,so warm,im dripping...where's that ice cold can to quench my dry throat...i will need that just to prepare to go down to my shed to pull the motor out of my bike...no air-con in the shed,best i take a few cans with me....
stimpy

Go to Top of Page

Jake strange
Familiar Member

United Kingdom
282 Posts

Posted - 16/11/2007 :  17:03:05  Show Profile

Ive gota get my engine out for its refresh too... im not brave enough to go to the shed....good job i put some antifreeze in last week.....BUT, im off to mexico on tuesday! 2 weeks of heat hopefully...im pale as fook!
Go to Top of Page

stimpy

Australia
1347 Posts

Posted - 17/11/2007 :  06:06:56  Show Profile
isnt that standard for people up there?? couple of sun bed sessions my man!
if u ever make it back to oz jake,dont worry,we will look after u as well
stimpy

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
400GreyBike.co.uk © 2006 400GreyBike - All Rights Reserved Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000